by American Home Shield (AHS)
With leaf season right around the corner, now’s a great time to make sure your rain gutters are clear of debris. While you can hire a service to do the work for you, doing the job yourself is easy and affordable with these tips:
- Clean your gutters at least twice a year, more if your home is surrounded by trees.
- Wear heavy work gloves to protect your hands from sharp metal that may be on the gutters.
- Don’t let the gutter back up with leaves since they’ll eventually come loose from their mountings and destroy the gutters.
Ready to clean? follow these steps:
- Remove loose debris from the gutter using a small tool, such as a garden trowel, and scrub encrusted dirt with a stiff brush.
- Power was gutters with a hose to clear debris – just make sure you send it toward the drain outlet.
- Make sure gutters are clear, if necessary use a plumber’s auger to pull debris from the bottom of the gutter.